Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Addiction and The Question

Caffeine has officially got me by the throat. Insidious little bugger. Can't quite wake up without my morning coffee. Not that that's an entirely bad thing.

Then again it would be nice to wake up and actually be awake. Yesterday morning I was trying to communicate something to J who kindly made me repeat what I thought I was saying three times until it came out in something at least resembling English with proper syntax and everything. For someone who doesn't use capitals and specializes in lax punctuation, she's certainly got some lofty standards.

Anyway, to sort of continue J's theme of law school vs. real world in a sort of half-assed manner: I've thought of things that I'd like to learn at some point in my life. Statutory interpretation never ranked overly high, but maybe that was simply shortsighted on my part. What did rank: glassblowing, learning Latin dances, woodwork (with a specialization in crafting guitars), getting certified as a yoetzet halacha, getting licensed as an EMT and maybe one day as a paramedic, travelling the Far East, parenting well (far off, people, you can exhale), and aspirations to polyglotting it as much as possible (with Arabic, Chinese and Russian as priorities). The list is actually significantly longer but those things were very much at the top. Who doesn't want to learn everything eventually?

While getting all that done does seem very far away I do know I'll get to at least some of them within the next decade. Hard to really imagine, but that seems like a fairly manageable time to wait for something you really want as long as you're being worthwhile in other ways in the interim.

Closing thought: It's funny that when people ask you what you want to do with your life, you're supposed to respond with a career choice rather than what you actually want to do. Not an awfully reflective response, I think. So... let's have some fun and see who's actually reading this thing.

What do you want to do with your life? Leave a message at the beep.

No comments: